The Next Generation Coach is responsible for successfully delivering the Next Generation Program to students in secondary schools. If you enjoy working with youth and believe in the potential of, and need for, youth to create social change, this position is for you. This position is based in Vancouver or Toronto and reports to the Program Director.
THE NEXT GENERATION PROGRAM
The Next Generation Program is a high school program dedicated to cultivating a next generation that is beyond prejudice. Predicated on the principles of experiential learning, students emerge understanding their own identity, and confident in their ability to be effective social actors. Participants will know they are powerful individuals who belong in their communities, cities, and country. Students will gain an understanding of their rights and responsibilities as citizens and they will feel the richness of their individuality, and see people as valued individuals, rather than their categories.
Coach is Responsible for:
- The delivery of the Next Generation Program curriculum to high school students.
- Supporting and facilitating student-led social action initiatives.
- Working collaboratively with the Next Generation team and Teachers in curriculum development and customization for each participating school.
- Conducting experiential learning activities.
Skills and Talents:
- Depth of experience and expertise working with youth.
- Direct experience teaching or facilitating programs, workshops with diverse youth in a classroom or workshop setting.
- Experienced or knowledgeable about social justice issues and ways that social change can be achieved through well planned initiatives.
- Experience and expertise in experiential learning pedagogy.
- Strong oral communication skills with an ability to engage students on a range of topics.
- A good listener who is interested in what others have to say with the ability to engage learners in critical thinking and courageous conversations.
- Energetic, inquisitive and enthusiastic.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision.
ABOUT THE MOSAIC INSTITUTE
The Mosaic Institute is committed to dismantling prejudice by making it easy for Canadians to experience our differences as wondrous. We believe that our differences are our greatest asset – and the best protection to the social unrest we fear. Headquartered in Toronto, with offices in Vancouver, The Mosaic Institute knows that the students are the future. The Next Generation program was originally created to support them to grow into interested and committed members of their communities.
This position is supervised by the Next Generation Program Director.
The Mosaic Institute, 2 Bloor Street W, Suite 3400, Toronto, Ontario
November 2018 – June 2019 (approximately 3-10 days per month)
If interested, please send your resume and statement of interest to Caitlin MacDonald, firstname.lastname@example.org by October 5, 2018.
Please note that successful applicants will have to provide a Vulnerable Sector Police background check.