Through Our Eyes: Understanding the Impact of Online Hate on Ontario Communities
ecnivorP### Mixed methods community research (surveys, community consultations and in-depth interviews) to capture the lived experience of online hate in Ontario.
This research project will examine how specific communities are affected by online hatred and intolerance, and the concomitant responsibilities for social media platforms, public regulators, and educators. This will build on Mosaic’s earlier work with the federal Parliamentary Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights and with Facebook Inc, on social media governance.
Community participants and organizations will directly benefit from this research and stand to gain the most from sharing their individual and collective experiences. Direct benefits may include:
- the opportunity to connect, and potentially form alliances with, likeminded organizations across Ontario;
- fair compensation for their labour;
- access to disaggregated, race-based data that has been translated into usable information;
- ability to produce strengthened funding applications and programming founded on quantifiable data; and/or
- the opportunity to connect with decisionmakers in public, private, and academic sectors.
For more information contact Rachel Mansell at 416-644-6000 ext 680
With thanks to our partners:
- Province of Ontario
- Consortium on Electoral Democracy