Dismantling Colonialism, Building Understanding
We are proud to share our Advisory Report, “Dismantling Colonialism, Building Understanding”, that chronicles systematic harm perpetuated by settler-colonial structures and the need for decolonization.
In 2019, in response to the Calls for Justice of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, we asked the question: what role, if any, do non-government, non-Indigenous organizations such as ourselves have in forwarding the Calls to Justice? This internal conversation evolved into an Advisory Report, examining Mosaic's positionality and recommending how we might move forward.
The report is the culmination of what started as the Community Research Partnership in Ethics (CRPE) between the Ethics, Society & Law Program (ES&L) at the University of Toronto, and the Mosaic Institute.
Special thanks to external reviewers for their excellent advice, comments, edits, and criticism that shaped the final version of this report:
- Sheila Cote-Meek (Inaugural VP, Equity, People & Culture at York University)
- Hannah James (Global Media Lead iBOL Consortium, former journalist)
- Sheryl Lightfoot (Senior Advisor to the President on Indigenous Affairs; Canada Research Chair of Global Indigenous Rights and Politics; and Assistant Professor of Political Science, School of Public Policy and Global Affairs, and First Nations and Indigenous Studies at the University of British Columbia)
- David B. MacDonald (Professor of Political Science at the University of Guelph)
- Thomas 'Tad' McIlwraith (Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of Guelph)
Their suggestions were vital.
This report was researched and written on the lands of the Mississaugas of the Anishinaabe, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy and the Wendat; as well as the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Stó:lō, Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh), and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) nations.
We look forward to sharing the report with you, to hold ourselves accountable and with an invitation to join us on this journey.Download report
View additional resources